Canceling eBill Payments

You can cancel some ebill payments made when you were signed in, and then make a new payment.

You cannot cancel ebill payments made while you were not signed in to an account.

You cannot cancel all payments. See Canceling, Correcting Payments for instructions.

Making a new payment

You can make a new payment for any canceled one-time payment.

  1. Click the My Account link at the top of the page.

  2. Click the View My Bills button.

  3. Click the Pending tab.

  4. Find and open the ebill.

  5. Make your payment.